Many a Moore College family between the years 2008 and 2011 will remember Julie Morrow’s Ice-cream slice, often served up at the weekly-free-for-all college playground dinners. Always a hit, several people have mentioned how great the recipe is for hospitality and have replicated it many times long since their time at college has come to an end. And for good reason: it’s really fast to make, tastes terrific and serves at least 21 people for a total cost of $13, though much less if you stock up on biscuits and chocolate bars when on special. Thanks for a great recipe Julie, and thanks for reminding me to give it a go, Jess!
- 1 x 375g tin condensed milk
- 600ml cream
- 3 x 52g chocolate bars of your choice (I used cherry ripe), roughly chopped
- your choice of food colouring (I chose to keep mine white this time)
- 1 1/2 packets of plain biscuits such as Malt-O-Milk (I used Morning Coffee)
- Line a 20x30cm slice tin with foil and put down a layer of biscuits wrong side up. Make sure they fit in the tin nice and snugly.
- Whip cream until thick, add condensed milk and whip again. Gently stir through chopped chocolate bar and food colouring, if using. Spread cream mixture evenly over biscuit base and then top with another layer of biscuits, right side up this time.
- Cover with foil and freeze overnight. When ready to serve, tip slice out using a board to keep it stable when up-ending it. Remove the last layer of foil and cut into biscuit sized portions using a large sharp knife. Eat and enjoy immediately!
TIP: If you don’t eat it all when you first serve it, cut slices into individual portions before returning left-overs to the freezer. This will make it easier to access and serve next time round.
Love it – a family favourite from years ago. We call it the “1000 calorie a look slice”!!!!!
Hi Barbara. I’m glad others have been loving this slice long before I have. I put all the ingredients for this slice into a calorie counting app and was pleasantly surprised to find that one serving is 261 calories – not too bad when most women can have around 1400 calories per day.