Recently my friend Ruth and I have found ourselves sitting together in the stands at basketball a couple of afternoons a week, watching our boys play and getting to know each other while talking food, kids, faith and life in general. She recently shared a couple of recipes with me, the first of which was this lovely Spanish take on the old Potato Bake. Our whole family really liked it as a main meal, though my husband enjoyed pairing it with leftover pulled pork for lunch for a number of days afterward as well. Chorizos are frequently on half-priced special at the Woolworth’s deli, and when they are I tend to buy lots at once and freeze them in pairs, which makes each bundle about 200g, just the amount needed for this recipe. Even when using full-priced Chorizo this yummy dinner costs less than $10 to make and serves 6, even more when serving as a side dish. Thanks for sharing this lovely wintery recipe, Ruth.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 200g chorizo sausage, sliced
• 1 red onion, sliced
• 1 red capsicum
• 1 kg potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
• 1 cup cream
• 200g grated cheese – any is fine, but Gouda, Edam or Cheddar work well
• salt and pepper to taste
• Paprika, for sprinkling
1. Heat oil in a fry pan and fry chorizo, onion and capsicum together until golden and soft.
2. Overlap half the potato slices in the base of a large quiche or lasagna dish.
3. Layer with half the chorizo mixture, half the cream and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Repeat layers with all ingredients except other half of the cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 200°C for 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
6. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake a further 30 minutes until golden brown.
7. Serve sprinkled with paprika if desired.
5 STAR … Very nice, well received recipe. Like you I buy chorizo when on special and freeze. Added some sweet potato and it went down really well. Thanks for the recipe.