Chicken mince is one of my favourite cooking ingredients. It’s tasty, it’s cheap, it’s lean and so versatile. And Mexican food, how I love Mexican food! Looking down the list of ingredients from my friend Anna’s Enchilada recipe makes me want to party: tomatoes, chicken stock, coriander, beans, tortillas and cheese – but even more so the ease of making them. Originally from Donna Hay Magazine, these crowd-pleasing enchiladas feed lots of people in one hit and are fast to make, especially as the chicken filling can be made and frozen ahead of time. And I especially like the way the tortillas soften into something more like lasagne than a wrap when baked in the oven. The quantities below serve 10 people and cost around $23 to make. Thanks for sending in this recipe, Anna.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1kg chicken mince
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup oregano leaves (I use dried)
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock (I use powdered)
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 x packets of mini tortillas (total 20)
- 120ml tomato puree
- 200g grated mozzarella or pizza cheese
- Heat the oil in a large deep sided frying pan, such as an electric one. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the mince, garlic and oregano and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add stock, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes or until thickened. Set aside and allow to cool. Stir in beans and coriander.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up, placing each one side by side in a large baking dish.
- Top with tomato puree and grated cheese. Bake at 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
I’m thinking that’s going to go down well at our house. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to adding that to next week’s menu.
Is it you? I knew you would like it.!
Sent from my iPad
This was great…thanks for sharing! Our teenage boy particularly liked it so I can see I’m onto a winner the next time all his mates come over.